Pink Lemonade Cupcakes
Courtney is a Facebook and blogging friend that I’ve never met in real life, but I’m SO excited to be a part of a virtual baby shower in honor of the little girl she’s expecting next month! (Thanks for hosting, Josie!)
It took me forever to decide what to make for this. At first I was thinking something savory, and then I decided I wanted to make cupcakes (sort of fitting since Courtney worked at a cupcake bakery!) Pink lemonade cupcakes seemed like a pretty good baby shower dessert, and Mike and I both loved these.
The recipe I found online called for cake mix and pudding mix, which definitely was not going to happen, so I turned to Joy of Cooking and cut their white cake recipe in half, with a little lemon extract instead of vanilla. Then I just mixed some pink lemonade concentrate into the frosting.
Courtney, I’m so excited for you and your husband to welcome your sweet baby girl, and she’s one lucky kid to get you as parents!
- 1 3/4 cup sifted cake flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/8 tsp lemon extract
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup + 1/3 cup sugar
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 stick butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp pink lemonade concentrate, thawed
- a few drops red food coloring
- Preheat the oven to 375 and line a 12-cupcake pan with paper liners.
- Sift the cake flour, baking powder, and salt together.
- Cream the butter and (1/2 cup+ 1/3 cup) sugar together in a stand mixer for about 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Stir the milk and lemon extract together in a small bowl.
- Add to the flour to the butter mixture in 3 parts, alternating with the milk in two parts.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites with the cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Add the 3 Tbsp sugar and continue beating until stiff but not dry. Stir about 1/4 the egg whites into the batter, then fold in the rest.
- Distribute the batter evenly among the cupcake pans, then bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool on a wire rack before frosting.
- To make the frosting, beat the butter, powdered sugar, and lemonade concentrate until smooth.
- Add food coloring as desired. Add a little powdered sugar if the frosting is too runny; add a little more concentrate if it is too stiff. Pipe onto the cooled cupcakes (I used a Wilton 1M tip)
(adapted from Joy of Cooking and inspired by The White Library)