This weekend wasn’t just about running, even though that consumed a lot of it. We also went to the oh-so-festive tree lot at the Target parking lot to get our Christmas tree!
There was a lengthy discussion about whether a Noble or a Douglas was better (my family always gets Nobles, but Mike’s always gets Douglas Firs). After walking back and forth between the two, we finally settled on this pretty Douglas.
We needed a Christmas-y treat to go with our new seasonal decor, and even though I don’t really like drinking eggnog, I love it in cupcakes!
The recipe I found was really good, but once it was mixed up, it definitely looked like it could use some more liquid, so I added an extra half cup of egg nog, and it worked beautifully. And like pretty much everything I make, the extras went to work with Mike, in our new cupcake carrier (something I should have purchased LONG ago!)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup egg nog
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 4-6 tsp eggnog
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- Pre-heat oven to 350˚ and line a 12-cupcake pan with paper liners.
- Stir the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg together in a medium bowl.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine butter and sugar, and beat until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add in the eggs, one at a time, and mix until incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl . Add 1/3 of the dry ingredients and mix gently, then stir in half of the eggnog. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and repeat with remaining egg nog and flour mixture.
- Divide batter into 12 cupcakes and bake for 20-24 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool cupcakes on a wire rack, and then frost.
- To make the frosting, beat the butter until smooth, then add the powdered sugar, half a cup at a time.
- Add the nutmeg, then add the eggnog one teaspoon at a time until the frosting is smooth. Pipe onto cooled cupcakes.
(adapted from Naturally Ella