We just got back from Christmas in San Luis Obispo.
There was lots of coffee-drinking,
Obnoxious amounts of picture-taking,
some obligatory beer-drinking,
and of course more than enough eating.
Mike’s family did not mess around with Christmas dinner. His sister cooked almost everything on the table (I contributed Caramelized Onion Mashed Potatoes and Colorful Christmas Salad). There were only 7 of us at dinner but we did serious damage.
However, after a few days of eating tons of not-so-wholesome foods, I understand the need to clean up the diet a little bit. Here are some of my favorite healthy recipes that will make you feel a little better about life than a giant plate of stuffing, mashed potatoes, and bread:
1. My favorite black bean and vegetable soup. It’s full of fiber so you’ll feel full for hours, and it’s really good!
2. Kushari. This Egyptian rice and lentil dish is super flavorful and filling (and rice + lentils = complete protein…score!)
3. Lentil and Chard Stew. Yeah, more lentils. They’re the first thing I think of when I think healthy. And Chard is the second…ergo this stew makes the list.
4. Tempeh Salad Rolls. These might seem a little summery, but they’re light, refreshing, and a nice change from heavy winter fare.
5. Celery and Chickpea Salad. Simple and filling, it’s the perfect thing to take to work for lunch
6. Spinach and Barley Salad. Another good lunch box staple.
7. Curried Butternut Soup. Warm and pretty and orange.
8. Quinoa with Broccoli Pesto. One of the very best ways to eat quinoa!
9. Pinto and Red Lentil Loaf. Who needs meatloaf now!?
10. Kale and Pinto Enchiladas. Definitely the healthiest enchiladas I’ve ever had!
Hopefully those will get you started on a healthy new year!